Skip to main content

Caesar's Camp 50

I had heard of only a few ultras – two of which were in New Zealand and the other which was probably Badwater. They were further than a marathon and that was as much as I could comprehend. I considered doing a 60km shortly after my 22nd birthday but organised my flat warming for the weekend of the race instead. Ultras were forgotten about; I completed a few more half-hearted marathons and moved to Scotland. 

Whilst taking over the planning on my parents impending UK visit, I suggested to the father-figure that we complete an ultra together. Caesar’s Camp 50-miler in Aldershot fitted in with the road trip and we began our respective training on opposite sides of the world. Dad sent me a training schedule for a 100km road race which he had found on the internet. That was a long way to run and we were running a long way so it seemed like a sensible idea to me. I can’t remember how closely I followed it but probably not very. 
I ran my first (and only) half marathon with my dad a few years earlier. Well, I ran with him until half way and then left him chugging coldrex at the turnaround.  Despite this, I wasn’t concerned about running together the whole way. He did teach me to run after all.

Pre-race
A midday start was an odd idea to me at the time. Dad carried a wee bottle belt and I had nothing. We had five 10-mile loops to run, with an aid stop half way round where I usually drank a little water and ate a few sweeties. We got lost a few times on the first loop as we were too busy catching up on the last eight months of our lives. Naivety meant we probably didn’t walk as many hills as we should have either!

Mum was the solo crew member for us and managed our bags at the loop start/finish. There was a selection of food that the organisers had put on but I didn’t know how to eat and run so I never entered the tent. 



Our legs hurt much sooner than we expected but neither of us wanted to mention this. Probably should have walked those hills at the start :) I enjoyed the first half of the course more than the second half and I’m quoted at the end as saying ‘we ran out of conversation after the second lap, and then it just got awkward.’ During these conversations I did fail to mention to my father that I had developed a new courtship with a Scotsman… 

I bargained with myself on the third lap to walk the last two laps rather than quit.  By the end of this lap we had both run further than we had ever run in training before and our legs knew it. Dad perked up after having some of the race organiser’s beer and I tucked into a BLT sandwich making the other runners jealous. It was the only food other than sweeties that I remember eating! Dad demolished the entire race’s supply of jaffa cakes throughout his run.  

Pulling Dad through
We got lapped by some superstars on our fourth and fifth (final) laps. Some of those superstars are running the full 100-miler. I didn’t even know that distance existed. That’s like jumping off the ferry in Picton and thinking ‘I fancy a bit of whale watching in Kaikoura’ and jogging down the coast. I go on to have Christmas lunch later that year with the main superstar Richie Cunningham (claim to fame!). The leading woman (Gaynor Prior) for the 100-miler comes past giving us some support. She informs me that I’m second female in the 50-mile race. I’m feeling better but still just aiming to get through. 

During the fourth lap it starts to get dark. I’ve borrowed a head-torch off my distant cousin’s girlfriend who works with my dad in New Zealand (it’s a small town ok?) I’ve never run in the dark before. Feet go in the wrong places and it starts pounding on my morale. Dad spends his energy adjusting his headlight to keep me on my feet. I don’t enjoy running downhill but my memories of the descents from this point in the race are humorous. My quad muscles don’t feel like holding my body up on the rocky descents anymore so I shuffle down on my bottom instead. I’m probably making better time than my usual downhill pace! 

Towards the end of the fourth lap we close in on a light ahead and power up the nippy incline towards the start/finish. We pass the light belonging to the leading woman. She’s understandably having trouble with the trail in the darkness. I detour to the ladies’ room. Excellent, no queue. One of the top ten things about being a lady ultra-runner I’d say. 

I don’t know where dad is and I’m not waiting around to find out. I never had any intention of placing but now that I’m in the check-point with the leading woman, it’s a race. She leaves ahead of me but I tear out after her leaving dad to sprint (probably wishful thinking here) after me and I pass her before the first incline. I can’t really remember much of the final lap. We zip up the last little steep climb; overjoyed to finally be finished in 10 hours and 28 minutes. 

I broke the women’s course record by 40 minutes and currently sit on the Caesar’s Camp Hall of Fame – probably not for long though!  Dad gives the local vouchers I won to the second placed lady as we are off on the road the next day. I struggle walking along the Brighton promenade the next day and the parents appear embarrassed by me so walk ahead. I loved the loops, the low-key atmosphere and winning my first ultra. I still have the safety pin from my race number attached to my vest. It's my good luck charm.

Comments

  1. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!


    Also visit my webpage: kerala matrimony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pay a quick visit everyday some web pages and websites to read
    articles or reviews, except this web site provides quality based posts.


    My web page :: pay per click campaigns

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Marton to Wanganui Relay (or ultra)

There is a place in New Zealand's North Island called Marton. There is another place, 30-something kilometres away by a main road, called Wanganui. If you decide to take the country road between the two buzzing metropoles, the journey will take you a pleasureable 66km. And that is the prefered route of the Wanganui Harrier Club who organise a relay between the two towns.   Note; despite the joyous experience I had between these two villages, there really is no need to visit either town if you are a tourist in New Zealand.  I emailed the race organiser, Bill, on the Tuesday before the race asking if I could enter but would need to give him my entry form and payment on the day. I received a very friendly reply and was in the race. I wish all ultras would be this straightforward to enter. Pre race selfie Race Details Marton to Wanganui at a distance 66km. Flat road with some inclines and gravel. Ten relay legs with either ten person teams (we will call them big teams

John Muir Way 50km Ultra

Port Seton to Dunbar. Appears straightforward for a runner hoping to use public transport. So a week before our holiday to Sri Lanka, I booked myself an entry in a 50km ultra along the John Muir Way. I then promptly forgot until I read the race instructions a few days prior to the race. Good news - We were in possession of a car hire for the morning so I could be driven to the start. I also obtained my British Citizenship this week which isn't too relevant for the race but just good news in general. Who knows, maybe dual citizens get dual stamina?  Bad news - Race registration closed an hour before the start and was actually taking place at the finish line. We were coming from Angus. That meant leaving the accommodation by 5:30am. Not quite the 'slide out of bed the back of 8am and arrive at the start line with a decent ten minutes to spare' plan that I had originally thought of. Foxlake's setup is great and I look forward to going for a sw

Transgrancanaria

Weak areas in my running: - descending - rough terrain - darkness - staying awake for 24 hours - training Characteristics of Transgrancanaria - descending - rough terrain - darkness - staying awake for up to 30 hours - training - ascending (positive elevation 8,500m / 27,890 ft) ANTONIA 0480 - check out the race profile at the bottom of the bib Transgrancanaria race profile (from website) Ascending? Did anyone else read that? I like going up hills. Sounds like a good race. In 2014, when Keith Hughes and the gang of Incredibles entered I wasn't tempted in the slightest. Way out of my comfort zone. But then Johnny Fling mentioned the race and practically begged me to come. He's like that; pushy. A race at the beginning of the year sounded good as I was going a bit crazy after having had 2014 off. And by off I mean that I got fat. There was a race in Cornwall but that's a