Skip to main content

Kiev Marathon at 19 Weeks Pregnant

When the superspeed duo of Ally and Norm sent through their list of 2018 marathon locations, Kiev seemed a no-brainer. I mean, who hasn't wanted to visit the Ukraine? I cannot remember if I was pregnant before or after entering but I clearly thought it would be fine regardless. Unfortunately, I didn't exactly glow during pregnancy and I dragged my feet out on two runs a week, one short and one long. Given that I wasn't particularly fit before pregnancy, building up those long runs felt pretty awful. On one occasion, Scott had to sprint home to get the car during a two mile run while I disposed of my stomach contents on the side of a country road. 

On arrival, we paid some extra money at registration for some running travel insurance scam. I'm pretty sure that is what it was! Then I risked the life of my unborn child by taking a Ukrainian taxi through some back alleys. We went to dinner and there were guns on the walls. Some local youths then set the hotel bathrooms on fire. So far, pretty exciting. 

It really was the boys chance to take me. Four and half months pregnant, surely they would take the victory. Scott and I started together at the back, Norm hit the front pack. After a few miles we were going to and fro with Norm who was implementing his success-proof walk-walk-run strategy. We passed some tanks. We also passed a number of police cars surrounding a smashed up old car who had clearly been pursued in some sort of chase in the middle of the marathon route. 


Some loo stops were made. Pregnancy stresses the bladder. 

We ran past lovely churches. Or cathedrals. I'm not sure, just picture some nice religious buildings. After about halfway Scott and I were still together and had passed Ally on a long climb. By this time Norm was well back, having stopped to help a group of elderly ladies cross the road. Or so he says. Scott's back was pained from throwing grass seed around and I decided to press on. I remained comfortably uncomfortable throughout the run and tried to stay hydrated. 

Upon finishing, I forgot that I shouldn't be drinking too much caffeine and downed three cups of cola. It was only upon starting a local dance mid-cup that I realised I had probably overdone it. Yes, I ran a personal worst of 4:20-something. But I still beat all the boys and felt pretty chuffed. I didn't ask for my doctor's permission to run. Why? Because my doctor doesn't even know who I am. I didn't ask for my midwife's permission. Why? Because all 17 of them don't have a clue who I am either. I knew I was ok to run and did so within my comfort zone.  

As a side note, Kiev is a great city! Friendliness may not be common characteristic but it isn't in London either. We decided not to go to Chernobyl as I wasn't sure it was a responsible thing to do while pregnant. Baby Wesley was therefore born with all ten toes and all ten fingers. 



Marathon medal, 19 weeks pregnant


Ukrainian Taxi

Tanks in Kiev

Kiev marathon route


Comments

Popular Posts

Marton to Wanganui Relay (or ultra)

There is a place in New Zealand's North Island called Marton. There is another place, 30-something kilometres away by a main road, called Wanganui. If you decide to take the country road between the two buzzing metropoles, the journey will take you a pleasureable 66km. And that is the prefered route of the Wanganui Harrier Club who organise a relay between the two towns.   Note; despite the joyous experience I had between these two villages, there really is no need to visit either town if you are a tourist in New Zealand.  I emailed the race organiser, Bill, on the Tuesday before the race asking if I could enter but would need to give him my entry form and payment on the day. I received a very friendly reply and was in the race. I wish all ultras would be this straightforward to enter. Pre race selfie Race Details Marton to Wanganui at a distance 66km. Flat road with some inclines and gravel. Ten relay legs with either ten person teams (we will call them big teams

John Muir Way 50km Ultra

Port Seton to Dunbar. Appears straightforward for a runner hoping to use public transport. So a week before our holiday to Sri Lanka, I booked myself an entry in a 50km ultra along the John Muir Way. I then promptly forgot until I read the race instructions a few days prior to the race. Good news - We were in possession of a car hire for the morning so I could be driven to the start. I also obtained my British Citizenship this week which isn't too relevant for the race but just good news in general. Who knows, maybe dual citizens get dual stamina?  Bad news - Race registration closed an hour before the start and was actually taking place at the finish line. We were coming from Angus. That meant leaving the accommodation by 5:30am. Not quite the 'slide out of bed the back of 8am and arrive at the start line with a decent ten minutes to spare' plan that I had originally thought of. Foxlake's setup is great and I look forward to going for a sw

Transgrancanaria

Weak areas in my running: - descending - rough terrain - darkness - staying awake for 24 hours - training Characteristics of Transgrancanaria - descending - rough terrain - darkness - staying awake for up to 30 hours - training - ascending (positive elevation 8,500m / 27,890 ft) ANTONIA 0480 - check out the race profile at the bottom of the bib Transgrancanaria race profile (from website) Ascending? Did anyone else read that? I like going up hills. Sounds like a good race. In 2014, when Keith Hughes and the gang of Incredibles entered I wasn't tempted in the slightest. Way out of my comfort zone. But then Johnny Fling mentioned the race and practically begged me to come. He's like that; pushy. A race at the beginning of the year sounded good as I was going a bit crazy after having had 2014 off. And by off I mean that I got fat. There was a race in Cornwall but that's a